BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Baking a Mini Cupcake

There's a bun in my oven. Or rather, a tiny cupcake, as fitting in the theme of this blog.

Charming and I are expecting a baby, due early next year. Currently I am just through my first trimester and plugging along, growing fingers and toes, teeth and hair follicles. It's amazing reading about the process each week. I'm learning more than I ever really wanted to know about the miracle of life. Like, the intestines are first grown in the umbilical cord and then passed through to their rightful place in the abdomen of the baby. This kid is already brilliant, thinking outside the box! Or rather, outside the body...

We are elated at this news. After four and half long years of trying, missteps and problems, and then ultimately giving up (and yes, what they say is true, once we stopped "trying" that's when things came together) finally our prayers have been answered. We will now add a bundle of joy to our family and a financial hardship to the rest of our lives. Yippie!

But as overjoyed as we are there also comes abject terror. For me, I am frightened about doing something wrong while pregnant. All I want is a healthy, happy baby and I can't help think of everything that could happen and how my choices may lead to issues. Also, I am a bit older, although not over-the-hill yet to have a healthy baby. But there are some risks. Those books that are so helpful are also scaring the crap out of me as I read about chromosomal abnormalities and developmental problems. Charming and my OB have warned me to stay off the Internet or they will find someone more capable to carry the baby to term.

For Charming, his terror revolves around the baby itself. Having no child experience, he is scared he won't know what to do once we are required to take care of a tiny, living, human being. Inside me, it is a safe and secured comfort knowing he can't screw anything up. Outside of me, responsibilities abound and suddenly he has a dependent. He's been getting coaching from his brother and reassurances from me that he'll just know what to do and will be a great dad!

So I'm going to try to make a chronicle here of my pregnancy experience. Up until the last few days things have been uneventful, little sickness, mostly just tired and hungry, hungry, hungry. Only recently has the little gummy bear (a nickname from our first sonogram picture) decided nothing I send down my gullet is appealing and has thus ejected everything in disgust. Glad I have not had the pleasure of experiencing this for the past three months, but I can certainly sympathize with woman who are sick all the time because this, quite frankly, sucks. Hoping in a week or two it shall pass and I can go back to happily eating pretty much anything I desire.

Stay tuned for more excitement and a little back story on the last 3 months: finding out, telling our parents, telling everyone else, seeing our little critter and hearing that heartbeat for the first time. It may get all mushy-baby around here for awhile. but hey, you don't have to read it if you don't want to.


4 Sprinkles:

Lynda said...

I am so excited for you. Your post reminds me of how Calem got his nickname - Ketchup.

And stop stressing reading bad stuff on the internet! Don't make me come down there!

EmilyB said...

Do not - I repeat - do not read those books! They freaked me the hell out when I was expecting Sammy. Not worth the stress. Seriously. Enjoy this time as it will go by so quickly!

Jen said...

Tell Charming to relax. A friend put it very aptly yesterday: "Got teaches us how to parent... while we're in the process of parenting. It's about humbling ourselves, and being/setting the example for our children of how we want them to be." That definitely puts things in perspective.

Can't wait to catch up on all of the backstory!

Mary Ellen said...

I'm so happy for you. Pregnancy and parenting are not always pretty, but for me, my children were and are the greatest joy of my life.
My only piece of advice? Listen to everyone's 'suggestions,' say 'thank you' and then do whatever the heck you want to do. You and Charming are gonna do great.
Congratulations!
Mary Ellen